Header

Monday, September 16, 2013

Scariest moment of my life ...

I'm sure most of you heard of the shooter at a navy yard in DC this morning. What you might not know is that my dad's company does business with that same navy yard, and my dad has been there several times.

Around 10:50 am I checked my phone to see if I had any text messages from hubby. Instead I was greeted by back-to-back, non-stop CNN updates about a shooter at the DC naval yard. For 1.7 seconds I was confused, that confusion was replaced by absolute sheer terror, ache and the feeling that everything was spinning out of control.

The only thing I could think about was my dad. He is VP and visits the naval yard for various reasons. Immediately my head was buzzing, "where is my dad?" "did he go to the naval yard for work today?" "did he get shot?" "what if my dad is dead?" I felt sick.

I tried calling him to get relief, but he didn't answer. That sent me into a fit of tears and sheer, absolute panic. I called Chad, no answer, so I left him a terrified, teary voice mail. Then I called my mom. She answered and said she already called my dad and he was safe and sound. He was in meetings all day at his office, not near the naval yard.

The relief I felt was overwhelming and then I cried because I was so happy and relieved.

I have no idea what I would do without my dad. I have never felt such panic take over me. The feeling that you have absolutely no control over a situation left me feeling paralyzed. I thank God that my dad is fine, and that he wasn't at the naval yard. It made me realize how I need to call him more and tell him how much I love him.
 photo sign_zps684bf94b.png

2 comments :